Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Custom Artisan bread board begins.....

Bread photo provided byThe baking of fresh bread generates a wonderful mouth watering smell in any home it is made in. Learn more and make your own...




Make sure to order your own custom bread paddle from Splinters Woodworks.


To make the process easier I am creating a custom paddle to work the dough and prepare it for placement into the oven also using the paddle it was molded on. My client is patiently awaiting the creation of her new bread paddle.


Here is the pile of selected coastal maple lumber which I chose to create this peel. Typically I use the same birch I use in pizza peels, however when I saw this wood I knew I had to try it out and see how it works. Coastal maple is a faster growing wood and therefore does not have the grain tightness found in typical hard maple. The difference will make this paddle lighter and easier to use.

The full one inch dimension lumber was resawed (by Don at Highline Doors) into approximately 3/8' thickness, and then, the individual boards are cut to width and length to make up the final size board desired.
This particular board will hopefully end up with a 12 inch x 12 inch paddle and a 7 inch handle.


The edges have been prepared and boards squared up.
The glue has been applied and the clamps are in place. It will be allowed to set overnight in these clamps and tomorrow the shaping process will begin.

As you can see I use a lot of clamps. I try and give the boards every opportunity to get a good flat strong glue job. The boards are clamped from side to side to bond the boards together. I then place strips of hardwood on top and bottom of the boards and clamp them to ensure the boards glue joints dry in a flat stable manner.



The clamps are off and the board is being laid out..












For more information about ordering your own custom board go to:
http://www.splinterswoodworks.com/

No comments: