Monday, April 14, 2008

Custom Finger- Jointed Walnut Box





Creating a box that is simple, but unique, and also beautiful, as well as protective, has been a challenging and rewarding experience. I am thrilled to have taken on this project.


To be a part of this creation, which will be used to display and protect an antique family heirloom is special.
Life is a journey and this has been an enjoyable part of that process.

In planning out this project I decided to use finger joint construction on the corners because I felt it would add to the look and feel of the box. Not to mention it would also provide exceptional strength in the corner joints and additional protection. (The color difference between the first two photos is because the finger-joint photo is still the raw wood and the other photo is after I have began applying the finish coats.) I am very pleased in the end result.
The size of the box was determined using the measurements of the platter that would be stored inside.(1 1/2" x 13" x 15")

The top proved to be the most challenging. Hand selecting the right grain pattern and coloring caused me to look through a lot of boards before I found ones that I thought worked well together.


Matching the grains and colors I think worked out well. The color will only get richer looking as time passes.
The top of the box has been laser engraved with a customized celtic cross and the words "Ardara, County Donegal" below it.

The laser engraving was done by Blue Dragon LLC in Columbia Falls, Montana using an Epilog Laser. As you can see this process creates a very detailed sharp image.




For the inside of the box I wanted to create a foundation which would display the platter as well as protect it. Using a high density foam padding I created a pocket to hold the platter and then covered the foam with a nice material.

I suppose the real test will come when the client places the platter in the box for the first time. Hopefully all the measurements I worked with will perfectly cradle it and protect it for many years to come.

No comments: