Friday, April 18, 2014

Custom Wooden Crochet Hooks

 This request came from several different clients. Wanting to use my lathe more I was intrigued to try my hand at making these.  The first one has produced rave reviews with slight suggestions to improve them. I am learning each one should be made for the individual persons likes or dislikes.  First comment was can you make something like this, only make a bigger bubble up from the point.

 It is roughly 6 inches long with the point and throat around a number 5....Once it was turned on lathe, the tip is shaped by hand using files and knifes. Then finish sanding and coating with a hand rubbed finish.

The biggest comment I have heard so far is the standard crochet hooks make your hand tired after using them for a while. Therefore the bubble turned into my hooks allow the user to cradle it in your fingers.



First project in progress with this hook.

Lathe work and hand shaping done with a hand rubbed finish applied

Basic shape in progress of being turned.

Starting out with the rough piece of wood on the lathe.


Standard sizing template I found on line.



Stay tuned for more updates soon......:-) ****************************************************************
For more information about ordering your own custom board go to: http://www.splinterswoodworks.com/

No comments: