Monday, January 25, 2010

Scott Morrison inspired Custom Rocking Chair continues...Part 4


Recently I was able to visit with the designer of the Montana Rocking Chair,  Scott Morrison in his shop in Columbus, Montana.  The Dvd's and templates for this project were purchased through Scott's website and were well put together.

 It was a great experience to talk and spend time with Scott. Through his humble demeanor, enthusiasm,  openness to questions and the love for our craft,  Scott  made me feel like I had known him forever.  In addition, being able to actually see and touch the jigs and templates he uses was beyond anything I could ever have expected. 

The short story is I learned much more than I expected.  Through our conversation  it seems like I am interpreting his plans pretty much like they were intended,  but I have a lot to learn.    Scott willingness to share his knowledge is a resource and bonus I had not expected.

It was more than worth the time spent, the drive there, the knowledge shared and the making of a new friend.  I am excited to get back in the shop and continue this project.
My deadline is moving right along,

Thanks Scott.....





Before I left for this trip I managed to get the following pieces cut out.

This photo shows the rear legs cut out of the dark walnut.


These will be the arms for this large rocker.






This is the beginning of the seat. It is roughly 21 x 22 inches and 1 3/4 inches thick.

The notches here will be where the rear legs will go.





****************************************************************
For more information about ordering your own custom board go to:
http://www.splinterswoodworks.com/

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, It is moving along. And so is the little nuggett. 12ish weeks to go!