Sunday, February 7, 2010

Scott Morrison inspired Custom Rocking Chair continues...Part 6


New photo tonight.....will move it to part 7 later with more photos and story...

I dry fitted most of the parts late this afternoon. The only pieces left to create are the two rockers.    I am pleased......  This was the closing shot on the workshop live  webcam feed this afternoon......



Spalts, the back of the rocker with the awesome lumbar support, are the next part to be created.
To do this I have to rip a board into 1/8 inch x 1 1/2 inch strips.




For this project each spalt is made up of three of these strips.  There ae 6 spalts, so I needed to cut 18 strips. I built another jig to help push the narrow pieces through the saw blade.

Once the strips are cut, they are laid out like this, glue is applied and.....

 

Then they are placed in this special jig, clamped up and set aside to dry...typically  they must sit for at least four hours, but I am letting them bond for at least 8-10 hours.






Here is four of them glued up and out of the clamps and form. 






While the spalts are drying I begin the fun process of grinding out the seat from the boards I had put together before.

This is a very dusty step, so as you can see, I have a full face shield, dust mask, ear plugs, and I tried to cover as much skin as possible.







         

As you can see this creates a bit of dust.












The major grinding is completed and now ready to move on to the beginning of the sanding  and shaping process.






Stay tuned for more updates soon......:-)

****************************************************************
For more information about ordering your own custom board go to:
http://www.splinterswoodworks.com/

No comments: