Friday, February 19, 2010

Scott Morrison inspired Custom Rocking Chair continues...Part 10...........


The rockers have now been drilled and are dry fitted with the dowels.  Next step will be to epoxy the rockers to the legs. Then all the finish sanding begins.    





Pretty comfy...I just couldn't resist.......:-)


Suppose I should now go work on the rockers.... :-)


Not that anyone is counting, but we have 55 days or less than 8 weeks to go...

The headrest has been glued, clamped, screwed, and plugged.

The back splats are allowed to float freely in the mortises to allow for movement and expansion and therefore not glued.

I added a couple extra boards that I molded and fitted to the bottom of the seat to provide a bit extra support. I know it is over engineering, but the cargo will be precious and Grandpa wanted no chances for failure. Humor me here....I actually think it adds to the uniqueness of the chair myself and will add it to all future chairs.

Sanding is progressing well and will dry fit the dowels for the rockers once a little more sanding is done on the chair and the rockers.



We are getting close...Looking really good if I do say so myself...


Stay tuned for more updates soon......:-)

****************************************************************
For more information about ordering your own custom board go to:
http://www.splinterswoodworks.com/

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Dad -

That is so pretty. Are you sitting on your table top??

Dave said...

Thanks.... I am amazed myself how nice it is coming out. Yes I am sitting on the top of my work bench. :-)

Heather & Matt said...

What a beautiful chair.... I can tell it was made with lots of love. :-)